Russian Fashionista Facing Prison
Russian fashion influencer faces six years in prison for using Instagram.
- Veronika Loginova, an 18-year-old fashion model, shared that her mom was presented with a statement from Russian prosecutors that charges her with "performing acts to attract users on the social networks Facebook and Instagram."
- She has never posted any political content.
- According to the prosecutor's statement publishing on social media "may be seen as a kind of involvement in the activities of an extremist organisation”.
- In March, a Moscow court banned Instagram and Facebook as part of a campaign against major western social media platforms.
- Facebook and Instagram's parent firm, Meta, was categorised as "extreme" in response.
- This week, Russian president Vladimir Putin ordered the mobilisation of Russian civilians intensify Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Russian citizens have taken to the streets in a number of cities to protest President Vladimir Putin's decision.
- It was reported that hundreds of individuals were detained on Wednesday at anti-mobilization rallies held in cities like as Moscow and St. Petersburg.
- Cracking down on influencers is just one of the tactics Russia uses to enforce obedience.